Everywhere we look, we are being inundated with information about ways to improve our cardiovascular system and prevention of heart attacks and strokes. In the past few decades, there has been some bad advice given due to misreading and misunderstandings of the results of scientific studies. For example, it was not long ago that we were advised to reduce consumption of all cholesterol. Even eggs were given a bad name by many who wanted to advise us as to what we should and should not include in our diets.
Today, we know that eggs are an excellent food, containing many nutrients that we need, and the cholesterol that they contain is fine for a healthy person. We also know now that there are two kinds of cholesterol, LDL which is bad, and HDL which is good. While total cholesterol in the blood stream is important, what is really important is knowing the ratio of HDL to LDL.
There are other things that we can do and add to our diets for both a healthy heart and a health mind. This past week, we looked at Halibut Liver Oil which contains Vitamin D – the “Sunshine Vitamin” so called. Low levels of this vitamin are linked to mental health disorders including anxiety and depression.
As well, we looked at the supplement, Resveratrol, which is found in the skins of some fruit, including grapes – and because the red wine process leaves the skin of the grapes during the fermentation process (unlike the white wine process), resveratrol is also found in red wine!
Take a look at this week’s articles:
- Ayurvedic & Science
- New Hope For Pancreatic Cancer Treatment
- New Study Shows Curcumin Can Help Major Depressive Disorder
- Vitamin D May Slow Progression Of MS
- Women Of Child Bearing Age Advised To Take Folic Acid
- Black Tea May Help Prevent Diabetes
- Welcome To Healthy, Happy, Beautiful!
- Are Microwave Ovens Unsafe To Use?
- Oregano’s Compounds Are Brain Healthy
- The Cold & Flu Season – What Do You Do To Prepare?